Carrot Spice Applesauce Muffins
Yesterday morning, I shared a "keeping it real" moment with our Fat Loss Cooking School ladies.
I woke up, went to get coffee, and that old demon from my past - the sugar bomb breakfast pastry!!! - popped it's head up! Donuts. Scones. Something covered in icing and sprinkles. WHAT?! At 7 a.m. in the morning!? Yes. And it came out of nowhere. But these things happen, right? We're rocking along with our nutrition and training and getting plenty of sleep and then BOOM! We get a hankering for something involving icing and sprinkles;)
So I had a choice:
1. Have the thing I really wanted. Get clear on exactly what I was craving and just have it.
2. Make my own version of the thing I was craving at home. Something with better quality ingredients, less sugar, more fiber and/or protein. Something to "scratch the itch" without being a balls-out treat.
Either option would have been fine, but yesterday I chose #2 and these muffins are the result.
Customize 'Em, Baby
I LOVE recipes like this. Ones that you can customize based on what's in your kitchen. You can use either unsweetened applesauce or mashed bananas. You can fold in any diced or shredded fruit, chopped nuts, or even shredded zucchini.
The combination of oats and oat flour makes these dense. If you eat one hot out of the oven like I did, just know that they won't be the light, fluffy muffin texture you may be used to. As they cool, they lighten up a bit.
Yield 12 - gluten-free and dairy free
1 c. unsweetened applesauce (mashed bananas work as well)
3/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. oat flour
1 c. old fashioned oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 c. shredded carrot (approx. 1 large carrot)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners. (I love this brand; nothing sticks to them!)
2. In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients (applesauce through vanilla) and stir until combined. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (oat flour to nutmeg). Whisk to combine.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined. Fold in shredded carrots.
NOTE: Batter may seem very runny at first; let it set for 3-5 minutes and it should thicken up as the oats start to absorb the liquid.
4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. (They will be almost full to the top!) If desired, sprinkle a few oats on top of each muffin.
5. Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 20-24 minutes or until centers spring back when lightly touched. Transfer muffins to cooling rack.
NUTRITION INFO(1/12 of recipe):
128 calories, 21.6 g carbs (3 g fiber), 2.6 g fat, 4.6 g protein
Tracking Macros? Search "FLF Carrot Spice Applesauce Muffins" on My Fitness Pal to find this recipe in the database.