Beef and Vegetable Soup
Jaime: throws whole hunk of chuck roast in stew pot, adds veggies and stock. Carts kiddos around to school and various activities. Goes to teach BODYJAM® and shakes what her mama gave her. Comes home and feeds delicious pot of soup to herself and three Littles.
LAQ: cuts beef into bite-size pieces and sears them on all sides in a Dutch oven, then deglazes the pan with some stock. Adds vegetables, including Chayote squash, a common ingredient in Latin cuisine, and ties together some fresh herbs, making what the French refer to as a Bouquet Garni to infuse the broth with herby goodne-
OHMYGAWD WHY AM I LIKE THIS?!?!?!?
Special Diets: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Whole30-compliant
1.5-2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, chopped into bite-sized chunks
2 cloves garlic
1 white onion, chopped
6 c. low-sodium stock* (*we actually prefer chicken over beef stock here. Go figure.)
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 chayote squash, peeled and chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
2-3 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
3-4 springs of fresh thyme
sea salt and fresh black pepper
1. In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and sear on all sides. Remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add about a cup or two of the stock to deglaze the bottom of the pan and use a flat wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up any browned bits.
3. To a large stock pot over medium heat, transfer the beef (and any juices), onion-garlic-stock mixture, and remaining vegetables. Add the remaining stock.
4. Using kitchen twine, make a bouquet garni by tying together the fresh herbs and add them to the pot. Reduce heat to low and cover partially, simmering until vegetables are soft and beef is tender.
5. Remove the bouquet garni and taste soup for seasoning. Add sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste.