Pizza Stuffed Peppers
Pizza cravings are inevitable, aren't they? We all need the occasional slice of REAL pizza, but sometimes you want a pizza fix without all the carbs! These Pizza Stuffed Peppers include all the best parts of pizza (the sauce! the TOPPINGS!) without the crust.
This would be a fun cooking project with kids, but they'd also be great for the adult set as well (I'm thinking: Super Bowl party finger food!) You could get more sophisticated with your ingredients if the crowd dictates, but I went old school and basic with black olives and mushrooms because those were my favorite pizza toppings as a kid.
3 large bell peppers - any color, cut in half, seeds and ribs removed
1/3 c. pizza sauce
12 slices of pepperoni
2-3 cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/3 c. black olives, sliced
1/3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Place pepper halves cut-side up on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
3. When they come out of the oven, they may have a little water inside. Turn them upside down to drain, then turn them cut side up and season the inside of each pepper lightly with a pinch of sea salt.
4. In the bottom of each pepper, layer 1 Tbs. pizza sauce, 2 pepperoni slices, a few mushroom slices, and 1 Tbs. sliced black olives.
5. Top with 1 Tbs. shredded mozzarella, a sprinkle of parmesan, and a pinch of oregano.
6. Return to oven and bake at 400 for 20 more minutes, or until golden and bubbly on top. Cool and serve! (Once they are cool enough to touch, you can actually eat them by hand just like a slice of pizza;)
Nutrition Info for each Pepper Half:
96 calories, 5 g. fat, 6 g. carbs, 1.5 g. fiber, 6 g. protein