Not all of us have the time or the desire to drag out pots and pans in the morning and cook breakfast from scratch. That doesn't mean you can't get an awesome FLF breakfast in your bod!
We love a good brekkie casserole like this one because it checks all the boxes in ONE recipe: protein, carbs, and fats + it tastes friggin' amazing!! (Does anyone else actually get out of bed in the morning because they can't wait to have breakfast and coffee or IS IT JUST ME?!)
I got this recipe from a fellow group fitness instructor a few years ago during a BODYCOMBAT training in Florida. She brought a giant dish of this for everyone in the training on Sunday morning and it hit the spot. Best part: she brought a bottle of Sriracha with it in case anyone wanted an extra spicy kick. Yes, please.
On a related note, tomorrow is DAY ONE of Summer 2018 Fat Loss Cooking School! Since our focus for week 1 is breakfast, I wanted to get this old standby recipe posted for this record-setting group of ladies we have joining us for the next 4 weeks. So excited to get started and get cooking!
Yield 8 servings.
½ onion, diced
1 lb. hot Italian turkey/chicken sausage (approx 4 links, casings removed)
3 c. broccoli florets, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 medium sweet potato, shredded
2 c. liquid egg whites
6-8 whole eggs (depending on how many people you're feeding; doesn't need to be exact)
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 Tbs. Sriracha
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. fresh black pepper
1 tsp. olive oil or butter, to grease pan and sauté onions
½ c. smoked pepper jack cheese, shredded (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13” glass baking dish.
2. In a large skillet, melt a little oil or butter and add chopped onions. Saute until translucent. Add sausage, breaking it up with a spatula and stirring occasionally until evenly browned.
3. Bring a sauce pan of water to boil over high heat. Add broccoli florets and blanch for 2 minutes. Immediately empty to a strainer and let drain.
4. In a large bowl, combine eggs and egg whites and stir with a fork until blended. Add shredded sweet potato, garlic salt, Sriracha, and salt & pepper and whisk until incorporated.
5. To your greased baking dish, add the blanched broccoli florets and the onion-sausage mixture. Pour the egg and sweet potato mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle lightly with cheese (if using).
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until center is set and eggs are no longer runny. (If you use a 9x9 baking dish, it may take slightly longer to set in the middle.)
7. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Slice into squares and serve. Serve with more Sriracha if desired.
MACROS: for 1/8th of casserole
207 calories, 10 g fat, 6 g carbs (1 g fiber), 24 g protein