This Italian Spaghetti Squash Bake is a take-off on a fabulous baked rigatoni recipe I used to make for events back in D.C. - the kind of events where you need to feed a large group of people on a budget, but it doesn't taste that way.
I would bake two giant aluminum trays filled with layers of rigatoni pasta, ricotta cheese, provolone, meat sauce and parmesan and by the end of the night, they were absolutely picked clean - right down to the last cheese-covered noodle.
Since my pasta days are behind me, I now substitute spaghetti squash for pasta in all my recipes. (I've always been more about the sauce and toppings than the pasta anyway!) Instead of loading up on three kinds of cheeses, I went for a little of the good stuff (goat cheese) and added olives and mushrooms. If you don't like goat cheese, try part-skim ricotta.
Give this recipe a go and add your favorite Italian-inspired ingredients! If you like it on pizza, it would probably be good in this! My favorite pizza toppings are sausage, mushroom and olives - can you tell? Next time, I'm going to try adding chopped marinated artichoke hearts to the dish for a piquant little kick.
1 whole spaghetti squash, roasted, seeded, flesh removed
1 c. sliced cremini mushrooms
1/3 c. sliced black olives, drained
4 links spicy italian chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
1 c. marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Marinara)
2-3 oz. crumbled goat cheese or ricotta cheese
1-2 tsp. olive oil
fresh basil, roughly chopped
salt & fresh black pepper, to taste
Optional: fresh grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8x8" glass dish with olive oil spray.
2. Add a light drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Add chicken sausage to skillet and cook until browned, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, combine roasted spaghetti squash, black olives, mushrooms, browned chicken sausage, marinara sauce, and goat cheese. Stir to combine.
5. Pour spaghetti squash mixture into prepared baking dish. Add a sprinkle of grated Parmesan to the top (if using). Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Top with chopped fresh basil and serve.