Lean party food is more than fruit and veggie trays, and this recipe proves it. When you bring a tray of these Stuffed-Mini Peppers to your next party or potluck, you'll trick all your friends into eating protein and veggies - and liking it.
These would be great as part of a game day spread, too. (Oh listen to me, sounding like the kind of girl who watches NFL games on Sundays. BAHAHAHAHA!) Serve them hot, right out of the oven.
1 dozen sweet mini peppers, tops removed, and seeded
2 links of hot Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
1 shallot, diced
3 oz. goat cheese
2 Tbs. whipped cream cheese
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
sea salt & fresh black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown hot Italian turkey sausage and break into small pieces with a spatula. Once browned, add shallot and reduce heat. Sauté until shallots are softened. Remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl, combine goat cheese, whipped cream cheese, red pepper flakes, and the warm sausage-shallot mixture. Blend well.
4. Using a small spoon, stuff the mini sweet peppers with the filling. Arrange on baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil. Season lightly with a little sea salt & fresh black pepper.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until peppers start to blister and blacken. The filling may start to ooze out of the peppers slightly. Let them cool slightly and gently push the filling back in as you’re transferring them to a serving platter.