File this away for after Thanksgiving.
You already know how it's going to go down: You've spent weeks gathering recipes and ingredients and planning for the big meal. Thanksgiving Day arrives, the turkey is carved, and in less than an hour, it's over.
All you're left with are mounds of dirty dishes and containers of leftovers.
You don't want to cook, but you still have to eat.
If you're tired of chopping and stirring and tending and you're repulsed by anything that looks or smells like Thanksgiving dinner, this recipe is perfect for post-holiday meals.
Let me summarize it:
- Open cans.
- Chop up leftover turkey.
- Dump ingredients in crock pot on low heat.
- Leave the kitchen and go do something else for several hours.
I'm exaggerating, but not by much! It's really easy and oh-so-delicious, especially topped with some Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro. It's almost as hearty as a chili but with lots of veggies and protein, it's a good part of any post-holiday de-bloat protocol. If you're feeling gross - skip the garnishes like shredded cheese and tortilla chips;)
Adapted from Peanut Butter and Peppers
1/2 c. red bell pepper, diced
1/2 c. yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
28 oz. can diced tomatoes, no sodium added
1/4 c. red chile sauce (I used Las Palmas)
1 c. frozen white shoepeg corn
2 c. low-sodium chicken stock
3 c. roasted turkey, white and/or dark meat, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 - 1 tsp. fine sea salt, or to taste
1. Add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to bottom of a slow cooker.
2. In a crockpot, add bell peppers, onion and garlic; top with frozen chicken and add the remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or on high for 4 - 6 hours.
4. To serve, top with Greek yogurt or lite sour cream, Cholula hot sauce, chopped avocado, fresh cilantro, and/or crushed tortilla chips
Nutrition Info (for 1 cup)
233 calories, 3 g fat, 27 g carbs, 10 g fiber, 23 g protein