There are thousands of Paleo and gluten-free pizza crust recipes on the internet, but a few years ago when I created this crust recipe, that wasn't the case. I tested a lot of really bad pizza crust recipes in search of something that would give me my pizza fix without the several hundred grams of carbs & fat and the accompanying stomach ache from delivery pizza like Papa John's.
After all my recipe testing, I found the best version of the ever-popular “Cauliflower Pizza Crust” on Detoxinista.com and still make it from time to time. Although I love it, it's quite time consuming and doesn't make very much. This is fine if there's 1-2 people eating it, but if you're feeding more than that, you'll be boiling and draining cauliflower for hours.
But THIS?! This crust is as delicious and high protein as they come because it's made out of ground chicken. You can eat it like REAL pizza: just pick it up and eat it like real pizza slices! I decided to work with the chicken and go for a BBQ chicken pizza, but xperiment with your fave toppings and let me know what you come up with!
1 lb. organic ground chicken
1 tsp. each of dried oregano, dried thyme, and garlic powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. fresh black pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 c. Barbecue Sauce (look for one w/ sugar low on the ingredients list. I love Pork Barrel BBQ’s Original sauce, but used Wegman’s Organic BBQ Sauce here)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 roasted red pepper, cut into slices
goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine the ground chicken, egg, and spices in a large mixing bowl. Combine with your hands.
3. On an olive-oiled baking sheet, spread chicken mixture evenly, about 1/2″ thick. Place in preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until set and golden brown.
1. Spread BBQ sauce evenly on cooked crust, about 1/2″-1″ from the edge. Add sliced red onions, roasted red pepper slices, and crumbled goat cheese.
2. Place under broiler for 4-5 minutes or until goat cheese is melted. Remove and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro.
3. Slice and serve!