If you love carbs in the morning for energy and sustenance, this recipe is going to rock your mornings, especially as the weather starts to get cooler in the next few weeks.
Oat bran is naturally gluten-free, high in fiber, and slightly lower in carbs than oatmeal.
For a fat loss breakfast, remember you can’t JUST eat carbs for breakfast. Have this oat bran as a side to something high in protein like a 4-egg white omelet stuffed with some good non-starchy veggies like mushrooms and spinach (wilt down 2 cups of baby spinach in a little olive oil) and a little good, flavorful cheese.
2 c. water
2/3 c. Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran
Half a Granny Smith apple, grated (peel on is fine)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. of salt + pinch or two of sea salt for topping
pinch of coconut sugar, stevia or Sucanat (optional)
1. In a saucepan over high heat, bring water and 1/4 tsp. of salt to a boil.
2. Slowly stir in 2/3 c. oat bran and reduce heat to medium low, cooking for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ground cinnamon and sweetener of choice (if using) and stir. Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes.
3. Before serving, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
Some other Fat Loss Foodie favorite variations on oat bran:
- Top with finely chopped pear, ground cinnamon and a sprinkle of toasted walnuts
- Savory oat bran: top with sautéed spinach, goat cheese, and scrambled or poached eggs
- Add a spoonful of pumpkin puree, Stevia to taste, and a dash of pumpkin pie spice