These are NOT "healthy" or hacked to be lower in sugar or anything like that - they are just dessert!
Enjoy that once in a while, would ya'? :)
Makes 16 squares
For the crust:
1 c. Pamela's Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix
1/4 c. coconut sugar or Sucanat
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 stick of chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
For the filling:
10 oz. fresh cranberries
1/2 c. coconut sugar or Sucanat
1/4 c. orange juice
1 tsp. orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line an 8x8x2" pan with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 opposite sides.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, combine whisk flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt. Blend until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Transfer to prepared pan, pressing evenly onto bottom of pan [TIP: Use the bottom of a flat measuring cup to flatten and spread the dough). Prick dough all over with a fork.
5. Bake shortbread until cooked through and pale golden, about 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely in pan.
6. Bring remaining 1/2 cup coconut sugar, cranberries, and orange juice to a simmer in a small saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst and mixture is thick and syrupy, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in remaining cranberries and cook until skins begin to split, about 3 minutes. Let cool.
7. Spread cooled cranberry topping over shortbread. Scatter zest over. Refrigerate for easy cutting. Using paper overhang, lift shortbread from pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut shortbread.
Both shortbread and filling can be made 3 days ahead and stored separately. Cover pan with Saran wrap and store at room temperature. For cranberry topping, cover and keep chilled until ready to assemble bars. I kept the crust refrigerated as well for easier, cleaner cutting.
Nutrition Info (for 1/16th)
120 calories, 17 g. carbs, 6 g. fat, 0 g. protein